15 March 2014

Hybrid Animal Sound Effect's Competition Entry

Last time, we discussed and looked at the competition. Today we will create our entry. This is something I have never tried before, so I am both eager and a bit nervous to give it a shot. But this is all fun and games, so let's get going!

First, according to the rules, we need to use one sound from their library. Signing up was really easy and they didn't require a credit card or anything like that. I was able to get my free credit and browse the library quickly and easily. This is the sound I decided to use.

I picked it for two reason, first, is that it is kind of long with a few different things going on. My original intention was to be able to chop it up if need be and use different parts of it. I also really liked the weird, chuckle sound. I thought it would be fun to play with. 

For this effect, I decided to pull inspiration from the sci-fi realm, and I specifically imagined a dinosaur alien. I imagined  a huge beast coming face to face with me, growling viscously, with saliva dripping from its sharp teeth. What I found, was that it is a lot harder than I originally thought to create a natural sounding growl (especially without an image to lean on.)

First, I needed to make sure the effect sounded like a full voicing. I found a few effects from freesfx.co.uk that aided me in both starting the growl and filling out the spectrum.  After I had some sounds put together in the form of a growl, I realized that something sounded off. What sounded off was the fact it was too short for the image in my head. I decided to reverse some of the sounds to bring them back in. This gave them a different sound, that I thought sounded natural. I also used another piece of the Rare Animals sound like I planned on for a breathing type sound.

This effect is not one I am overly excited about. Going into this project I expected better results. I think having an image to work to would help me out, and if I were to try this from scratch again, I think I would pick out some reference images to match the audio up to.


Anyway, here is what I came up with. If any of you decide to give it a shot, I would love to hear your results! 


No comments:

Post a Comment